Minor: Colour Test

After finalising the the overal designs for Sun and Moon I set about working on some colour tests for them that might start to help me thinking about what ways I am going to texture them later of if there is a better way of showing that they are wooden dolls. I might have to go back and change the cloaks and capes so that they look like they were painted on but I think it's a good idea to see what they would normaly look like first.

Colour Set 1
The first set colour that I did was based on the original colours that I was useing when I was creating the mock up designs for the characters with some small changens. I wanted to see if the colours that I used could work together or if their could bring up any other ideas for other ideas.

Moon - The overall colours for her don't seem to be working well together, however, the idea of her tail dress and cloak being partly see through seem to be working and might help to bring a gentler touch to her. Also, the gradient affect also seems to be something that I might want to keep in the other designs.

Sun - Just like with Moon the colours the I used in the mock up designs don't seem to be working well together, this could be down to the fact that I was finding in hard to pick different tones and shades with the reds, oranges and yellows that didn't end up looking mucky. One thing that I did think that came out well was the sides of the tail dress being different colours as it breaks up the top of the tail's colour.

Colour Set 2

I was also trying out colouring in different parts of the arms to see what they would look like, as in Colour Set 1 the shoulder and elbow joints are the same as the character's skin. I also tryed to use more solid blocks of colour to see if they would to see if it would make the characters' designs less busy.

Moon - I like the idea of making Moon's hair a dark gray so that at frames her face and eyes better along with using brighter blues. If I was going to use a more simpler colour layout I might go back to this one as a template.

Sun - I didn't have as much trouble with the oranges and yellows this time which could be down to not having to use so many different shades and tone. I also think that using a patch of red on the Sun's tail dress has helped to break up the large amount of orange and yellow, so it might be something that I might use in the final design.

Colour Set 3
With the third colour set I started to play around with the shading on the characters to see if that it can help with creating more detailing to them. I didn't shade every part of them as I felt that it might become abit too over powering on the designs.

Moon - After looking back at the poam I realised that I hadn't been following the description of the Moon being "Hushed and serene in silver and pearls". So after a noted my mistake, as I had been colouring Moon's outfit as being blue, I tried out swapping the colours round so that now her skin would be blue and the clothes being gray. This colour set is one of my favourites and might end up being the final design with of few edits here and there.

Sun - The top have of Sun and the crown are what are standing out for me on these designs as I think that the shadeing is really helping to make the details pop. I also think that giving the Sun a darker colour for the hair helps to contrast the lighter colours more.

Colour Set 4

In the 4 set of colour tests I started to play around more with the textures to see now far I can push it with what I want to try out, this included adding small details in the textures, such as the spirals on the tails and the flecking paint on the skin to add to the idea that they are wooden dolls that have been used for a number of years and are starting to show their age.

Moon - I tried to give Moon a darker colour for the base colour of her outfit with the lighter colours playing over it to tone it down a bit more. I do like how it came out but part of me thinks that it might be a bit too over powering and could draw away from the overall character itself.

Sun - I also played around with the idea of useing a darker colour as a base so that the lighter colours could pop out more which seems to work well with the paler yellows and oranges. If I do go with this level of dark colours then I might have to tone it down a bit as I feel that it is abit too strong in some places.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Comments

  1. I think the 'greyness' of your grey is throwing off Moon's appeal because she looks 'drab' - when in fact, if she's silvery, she would look rather more magical. Personally, I feel that 'colouring in' can only take you so far - when what you need to think about is texturing in Maya - because what you're trying to achieve is turning these 2D ideas into more tactile, textural elements, and I'd give my time to understanding some of that in 3D - so texture texts on some simple shapes that can help you understand your strategy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Film Review: Kung Fu Panda - Act Structure

@Simon - Mesh Mishap