Minor: Tail Dress

So that my characters don't just have boring bodies from the waist down and to add to the idea that they are some form of higher beings I have given them what I am currently calling "tail dresses". This will hopefully make them more interesting and break up the silhouette a bit more.

However, looking back over these designs I have noticed that the shapes I have used din't seem to fit in with my plan of using a "Lego set" with the shapes so that it would be easyer of me to model. This may have to be the exception to the rule or I could find another way of fitting the dress tail in.

The base tails that I have used for these designs are not the finished tail shapes that I will be using in the final designs.

Moon tail dresses 1 and 2

Moon tail dresses 3 and 4
1 - The first design is based on the old design that I had been using for the Moon but I have simplified it as well as making it longer. I have also added a fate gradient of colour up from the base to break up the block of colour that I was using. I can see this one being used in the final animation but I need to find a way to make it fit with the rest of the character first.

2 - This one's shape is designed to play off of the crescent moon shape to some degree. This one as a whole isn't really grabbing my imagination but maybe if I did use it editing it a bit might bring it to life some more.

3 - The third design is properly the most simple one and the one that I feel I could bring over in to 3D but at the same time I feel that it doesn't add to the royal elements of the Moon, maybe edited together with one of the others might make it work better.

4 - I designed this one with the chosen top design that I had picked out for the Moon in mind so that it would match up. I do like this one because of the way that it hugs the body along with the blending of the colours but I will have to think about the way that it would work with the wood texture if it used.

Sun tail dresses 1 and 2

Sun tail dresses 3 and 4
1 - Like the first design for Moon this one comes from the old design of the Sun character, I never seemed to find a better way of drawing it out and it always seemed to me as being the weakest part of the character. This time I changed it up so that I could see what it would look like if it was see through and it seemed to be working really well, but I still feel that it might still need some editing.

2 - The base shape of this one came from an old concept from when I first started drawing out my ideas for the characters. The colours might need changing but I do like the idea of the flame pattens as it matches up with the pattens that will be of the Sun's top design, it might also be a design element that I bring over in to the other designs if need be.

3 - Like I had done with one of the designs for the crown I tried out using the flames in the negative shape to add something more to the tail dress. I do like the idea but looking at it this way it seems to not be working the way that I wanted it to and might be hard to handle to 3D.

4 - This one has to be my favourite out of the 4 for Sun becuase of the shape and the idea of the tail dress being connected at the top, by the waist, while being split the rest of the way down. If this one gets used I might change the base of it so that it matches up with the Sun's cape abit more.

Any feedback is welcomed

Comments

  1. Yes, I like 1 for the moon and I think you need to take that principle - symmetry / simplicity - and apply to the Sun - while 4 is my preference too, because it follows these rules, I think there's something you could do with the 'flat bottom' of the sun's costume to just reflect the 'fiery' quality - I don't mean all those asymmetrical fire-licks you've got in some of the other versions, I mean something more simple, more suggestive and more controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Phil, love number 1 for moon and, with some tweaking, number 4 for sun. I like those bits on the side for Sun, I think it's a good way to increase the detail without making it too busy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Film Review: Kung Fu Panda - Act Structure

@Simon - Mesh Mishap