Minor: Upper Outfits

Another part of my characters that I have been redesigning are the upper outfits for the Moon and Sun. The plan is to have part of the outfit look like it was partly painted on to the wood while also giving them a cape or cloak so that their look more royal and can have better silhouette.

I also feel that when I get the upper part of the outfit right I'll be able to work on the tail dress so that it matches and at a loater day work on some of the finer details of the design. Another thing that I have throught about is that I could mix and match the designs after I have picked out a design for each of them so that they look like a set.

Moon's upper outfit without capes and cloakes

Moon's upper outfit with capes and cloakes

Moon's upper outfit showing the inner workings of the designs


1 - The first design that I have done is more or less the design that I have been used as the default design that I have been using for the time being. It's not the best design that I have made for Moon as it is very basic but it has helped me think about the way that I could put the designs on to Moon to look like their were painted on like that of a wooden doll. The one down side that I have with this is cloak as it just gives off the feeling that it is old and boring along with the way that it covers up most of the design under it.

2 - The overal design of the second idea is one of my favourites at the moment as it has elements that seem to add an air of mystery as well as making them seem royal. If I don't the use the overal design for this one then the one thing that I might keep is the swirling patten on the body and keeping the joints a different colour to the main body. I'm also fond of the cape on this design and the way that it would be cliped in to the body by the two moons.

3 - The third design that I have made is also one that I like the overal design of and can see the character wearing it. The way that I have made the cloak go over the arm and shoulder gives it the feeling that it is in some way the royal outfit from some different culture. I was also trying to add in elements that linked to what is said in the poam as it mentioned her wearing pearls so I added them to arms. I think that I have been looking at with this design is if I do use the cloak from this I will have to think about how it would move with character as it is mostly over the arm.

4 - This one isn't my favourite out of the ones the I have done so far for Moon as it doesn't seem to fit with the overal story and design ideas that I am using. There might be something in this design that can be used to help fix the other designs but at the moment I can't see this one working that well.

Sun's upper outfit without capes and cloakes

Sun's upper outfit with capes and cloaks

Moon's upper outfit showing the inner workings of the designs
1 - This design, like the frist one for Moon, is based on the first design that I had made for the Sun but I had added in some more details such as the flames on the body and the broader on the cloak. Although it is simple I feel that in some way that it could work if I edit some of the elements a little bit.

2 - After spending some time away from this design I can see that it is not as good as I throught it was using so many pattens has made it a bit over powering and could be distracting for the viewer. However, some of the shapes that I have used for this one, such as on the cape and collar, might be good starting points if I need to change something on a different design.

3 - The main idea that I was testing out with this design is colouring the whole body the same colour but I feel that it doesn't work the way that I want it too. However, one part that I do like about this design is having the cape on one side of the body as it is not over dominating the design and can play as being an opposite to Moon's as their's goes over the body while this goes behind them.

4 - This one also doesn't seem to have much going for it as I using it more of a way of testing out using different colours and using abstract shapes for some of the pattens, that might be able to .

Any feedback is welcomed.

Comments

  1. For me, it's always 'keep it simple' and therefore 'readable' and also on message in terms of simple objects being made by which to tell a story to children or similar. I like 3 for the Moon and 2 for the Sun, though I think 'Moon' needs an additional bit of accessorising to break up the blue of her torso - but only something simple, so maybe something to suggest the moon's light, so just as you've got the two-colour sun rays coming down from the neck on the Sun, how about a set of simple concentric rings coming down from the Moon's neck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Phil, Moon's 3rd design did bug me a little bit becuase of the soild blue on the body but I didn't know how to fix it or fit I was going to use it but I'll see what I can do. :3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Film Review: Kung Fu Panda - Act Structure

@Simon - Mesh Mishap