Acting: Lesson 2

In our second lesson we looked at the idea of status and how it can effect the way that we act. One of the tasks that we had to do was to

A chair was placed in the middle of the room and we were each given a card numbered 1 to 10 and where told to way walk up to it acting as the status indicated by the card we had, 1 being low status and 10 being high status. The chair it's self equaled a status of 5 so we had to also act to it as our given status as well.

After each person had gone the rest of us had to work out what number they where by looking at the way that they acted, walking up to the chair, the way they talked and any other details they added. We also wnet over anything that they did that might have made us question the number they were and why we may have through otherwise if our guess was wrong.

I felt that I had a hard number to act out, the number six, as I was one above the chair but wasn't a very high number that I would 'look down' to it. I ended up acting like it was a normal everyday thing for me to do but with an added level of confidence, such as sitting straight up. Everyone seemed to notice the level of confidence I had when walking to the chair and was able to guess my number correctly.
The last task of the day involved us being put in to pairs. We were then given a scene to act out, and the characters within it, along with the status that our characters had. I was with Laura and the scene we were given was someone getting ready for a date, I was playing the daughter getting ready for the date with Laura playing the Mum.

The first time we did the scene I was given the low status while Laura had the high. The result of this was that the daughter gave in to her Mum's request of inviting in her date pretty quickly. The second time around I had the high status and Laura had the low which changed the whole scene. The daughter was able to quickly talk back to her Mum and almost seemed to boss her about and not give in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Film Review: Kung Fu Panda - Act Structure

@Simon - Mesh Mishap