Major Project: Reflective Statement

This last project has pushed me to the edge of what I can do along with encouraged me to think more and more about my work. It has also challenged me to change my mind set with my work, going from panicking and hated it to challenging it every day and finding something new about it. I’ve also learnt to open-up more about what I do and to become more accepting of the feedback I am given and to push forward with it.

The place that I felt I was the strongest in was thinking up the designs for my characters. Going over each part of them and improving their designs with the feedback that I was given really helped me to create much stronger designs than the one that I was working with over a year ago. I was able to step back and let the skills that I had in one area help decide the elements that was needed for the characters. I was also able to keep them in an art style that I was comfortable using and it became very up lifting to see them come to life in a 3D space.

Animating them was so an area that I felt I did well but could also improve in, such as making it flow better and not having to be so fixed with staying within the poem’s structure. As I had done a few pre-vizs before I started animating, I had a clear for what needed to happen at what point in the poem, along with having a clear idea of where the camera was gong to be and what was going to be shown in it. I really enjoyed working out what was going to be shown in each scene and how it was going to help explain each line of the poem so that the audience could clearly understand what the characters were thinking and doing.

As I was modelling and animating my characters I did feel like I had cheated a little bit by having such simple designs that ended up with me having to use very basic modelling technicians and not having to use certain steps, an example being having to use a very basic rig and not having to paint weights on to them. I do have to keep in mind that because of the style I was going for my characters, and the world in some places, would need to follow such simple rules and that not all animations require every step needed to make it.

The one part that I felt that I could have done a lot better in was the Making Of document. I know that I can create the individual assets, but it seems that when I try to present them in one document everything just falls apart for me. Trying to clearly show and explain what I’ve done becomes to much trouble for me and the results is something lass to be desired. I’m very straight forward with the way that I present things and seem to find in hard to make everything look fancy and eye catching, making it clear that graphic design is not an area that I have much luck in.

Over the years I do feel that I have grown, and my work has done the same, however, other parts of me feel that I still have a lot to learn about myself and what I can do with my work. When I compare parts years work to each other I can see I’ve become stronger in what I do but can also see that I could have done things better, which has lead to me having the drive to improve even more and to learn more about working in the animation industry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Film Review: Kung Fu Panda - Act Structure

@Simon - Mesh Mishap